Depression is a brain problem.
At least, that’s what most of us have been told.
It’s a mental health disorder that’s caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. But what if there’s more to it than that.
What if depression is a physical disease caused by something other than a chemical imbalance?
As a black woman who lives with depression, a dance/movement psychotherapist who supports black women living with depression and someone who has done LOTS of research on depression, oppression, and the body, I think it’s important to consider all the options before making a decision.
In this episode, I discuss:
- How depression affects the body
- The Behavioral Shutdown Model of Depression
- The Polyvagal Theory and how depression affects the nervous system
- Bodyful Healing
- Somatic Experiencing for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: A Randomized Controlled Outcome Study
- Heal In Color, a growing directory of holistic health practitioners of color. A space for healers of color to list themselves as well as a space for people of color who may be seeking a healer of color to find one in their healing modality of choice.